This phrase is all too common when we see discussions about parking sensors, onboard cameras, and other Advanced driver-assistance systems. The unfortunate reality is that we are a lot worse drivers than we really think we are. While ADAS and parking sensors are no substitute for careful and alert driving, they are powerful compliments to achieving the ultimate safe driving experience. In this blog we’ll take a look at how many cars actually don’t have these systems and because of it, how much financial damage and loss of life is caused every year.
The lack of driving safety systems is…
– Low speed traffic incidents cause over $6 billion in damage annually in the United States
– The Average repair for vehicles involved in fender benders is over $2,000
– OSHA research shows that traffic incidents are the #1 cause of death in the workplace with over 1,750 deaths per year.
– At least fifty children are being backed over by vehicles every week with many of them being between the ages of 13 to 20 months.
– Over 60% of backing up incidents involved a larger size vehicle (truck, van, SUV).
– There are over 230 deaths and 13,000 injuries per year in the US specifically from back overs (Reference: kidsandcars.org)
Get more facts about this from our friends at KidsAndCars.org and please donate to their cause for making the roads safer for our children.